Saturday, October 24, 2009

Robert Frost



Vermont was a beautiful state. We stayed in Bennington, a city known for its covered bridges and Robert Frost's burial place. He lived in Shaftsbury, VT, after moving from Derry, New Hampshire. You can see a picture of his little stone house in Shaftsbury and read about his dream of planting a Garden of Eden with a thousand apple trees. I personally love his poetry. We visited the Old First Church in Bennington where he's buried in the graveyard behind the
church.


Old church of Bennington


Entrance to graveyard


Robert Frost's gravestone

"And were an epitaph to be my story I'd have a short one ready for my own. I would have written of me on my stone: I had a lover's quarrel with the world. "

On the drive down to Massachusetts, I wanted to stop at his farmhouse in Derry, New Hampshire. Unfortunately, the house was closed to tours for the season, but I managed to snap these few photos. Just thinking about the fact that he walked where I walked was amazing to me.



Front of farmhouse in Derry


Side of house and children's garden

There was a maple that had to be removed at the right side of the house. When people heard about it, many of them requested pieces of the wood from the tree as mementos. You can actually purchase a keepsake piece of the wood from the maple.

No comments: