Saturday, January 26, 2013

Love the World

I listened to an interview today on NPR between Terry Gross and author, illustrator, Maurice Sendak.  What a touching, meaningful piece.  Mr. Sendak talks about how he has grown to appreciate old age and what a blessing it is to finally have the time to read the books, to appreciate people, to love nature and the beauty around us.  If you have a chance to listen to it, I believe you will be as moved as I was to hear the emotion during this poignant interview.  Here's a link to NPR's compilation of interviews remembering Mr. Sendak.  He died on May 8, 2012.  He's best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are.

Remembering Maurice Sendak

In a way, I think he is right when he talks about getting older and looking out on nature.  While I've always loved nature and everything that goes with it, I think I appreciate it much more at my age than when I was younger.  My youth was spent in raising children and all that goes along with that.  Those were busy, busy times.  And though I still go to work every day, I have more quiet time to think and reflect on the beauty around me.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't see something wonderful, a hawk circling on the air currents above me, a fox standing in an open field, freshly fallen snow glinting in the moonlight.  There is beauty all around us.  We just have to take the time to slow down and really see what's always right there in front of us, to see extraordinary beauty in ordinary things.







No comments: