Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Books I've Read


The Time Traveler's Wife

I've been able to do quite a bit of reading lately. I wasn't sure about reading this book at first; but after reading the first couple of chapters, I was totally hooked. It's a wonderful love story between Henry DeTamble, the time traveler, and his wife, Clare Abshire. You find out what causes Henry to time travel and how it affects his life and Clare's. Don't try to figure out the why or how of how the time travel works. Just let yourself be carried away. I promise, you won't be sorry. The only caveat I have is that if you plan to see the movie, see it before you read the book. I don't think the movie does justice to the intricacy of the characters as time evolves, but then again, how could it?



The Lovely Bones was another great book. It's heartrending but beautiful at the same time. A young girl is murdered, and her family is left to pick up the pieces of their lives as they each deal with the loss in their own way, in their own time. The book is the dead girl's view as she watches over her family from heaven or the "In Between." When she is able, her family experiences very brief glimpses of her, never sure if her image is their imagination or reality.







The Shack is a very thought provoking book. Although it does deal with the spiritual, I found it refreshing in the way it defined (or didn't define) religion. I've never considered myself a religious person, but I do consider myself as a spiritual being, tied to our Creator in many ways. It's an echo of how we should treat each other, with love, respect, and acceptance. ". . . and the greatest of these is love."

No comments: