Sunday, November 22, 2009

Weekend Breakfast

I normally don't eat breakfast during the week, partly because who has time when you have to get up at 4 a.m.? I'm not even *awake* then. I stumble to the bathroom to get freshened up, get dressed, put on my makeup so I don't scare the folks at work, and then hop in the car for my 40 minute commute to Arlington. Once I get there, I have to trek up the half mile hill to get to the front door. I'm usually the first one in, so I get the coffee started and sometimes, if I remember, I'll eat the slice of toast I packed for myself before I left.

But weekends -- oh, weekends are a whole other story. There's nothing I enjoy more than having a nice breakfast/brunch on the weekend when the morning's not rushed and I can laze around in my PJ's. One of my favorite things to have is biscuits and gravy. I didn't even realize that there were people who didn't know what biscuits and gravy were until a friend of mine from New Zealand thought I was having cookies with some kind of gravy on them. So I thought I post a picture and a recipe for one of my favorite things.

This recipe calls for hot sausage, but I like mine with just plain sausage. You can add hot sauce if you like it a little more spicy. I like lots of pepper in mine. Just cook it up and pour it over hot biscuits that have been split open.








Recipe from Bobby Flay

Ingredients

* 12 ounces hot bulk sausage
* 12 ounces mild bulk sausage
* 4 tablespoons flour
* 1/2 gallon milk
* Salt
* Pepper
* Biscuits, store bought or homemade

Directions

In a large pot, add sausage and cook until browned and cooked through. Drain grease and add flour to sausage. Cook over medium-high heat until the sausage is well-coated with the flour. Add milk and stir until desired thickness and add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with biscuits.

No comments: