Friday, May 25, 2007

Time for Renewal

I still don't have a camera, but I thought I'd post some photos that I took last year of the birds in my backyard. Some of them are a little fuzzy.


This little Hummer visited the feeder every day, several times a day. He also sat in the oak tree near the deck and chased the other birds away, so I hung a couple more feeders in other parts of the yard.




I watched this pair of Cardinals all summer. They were very sweet with each other. The male would come to the feeder while the female sat on the fence or bushes and waited. He would get some sunflower seeds and take them to her and gently feed her. I snapped this shot while her ladyship was bathing. He sat on the side of the birdbath and waited patiently until she was through with her daily ablutions. They raised several babies that they brought to the feeders when they were old enough to fly. The babies would wait patiently in the bushes while mom and dad flew back and forth to the feeder. I wonder if the babies come back to where they were raised.

We have lots of Housefinches and Tufted Titmouse that stay all year round. I caught these three friends hanging out by the water cooler.

The yellow finches especially love the niger thistle. They only visit on their way through town in early spring and again in the fall.

2 comments:

Knatolee said...

These are GREAT! I especially love the hummingbird photo, but they're all wonderful. Lucky you having tufted titmice.

Your feeder and birdbaths are great too. Cardinal babies, imagine. I am hoping we get those this year, as we have a pair of resident cardinals.

Phyllis said...

I love these pictures! Thanks for sharing.