Sunday, February 14, 2010

Snow Surprise

I got back from a week long conference in New Orleans on Friday (I know, I know) to find that my driveway was still covered with ice and snow at least 2 feet deep. My car, thankfully, was parked in the garage; but I was really hoping that snow was going to melt somehow while I was gone. . . not so much. I don't even own a snow shovel because when we get snow here, it rarely stick around for more than 48 hours, melting away into nothingness. Not this time. While I was gone, we got another 12 to 14 inches of snow on top of what I had left the week before. Surprise!

When I left New Orleans on Friday, they were getting snow in the northern part of Louisiana. I think it followed me. I was worried about making it back here on time, but (thank you, Lord) there were no issues with my air travel.

By the time I got back into town, all the snow shovels were sold out and I didn't have any way to get to a store anyway because I couldn't get out of my driveway. I called the apartment complex front office to see if they had a list of folks who did snow removal -- no joy. I ended up on Craigslist and finally found someone to come and bail (read shovel) me out. I've learned my lesson. From now on, I'm ready with the salt, the shovel, and the ice pick. I may even break down and get an electric snow blower. Now if I can only remember that procrastination (my middle name) is not a virtue.

No comments: