Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving in the Mountains






Although I fussed a bit about tagging along with my daughter for Thanksgiving (I didn't want to be a buttinski), she and her husband were really gracious about putting up with me both when I whined about going and then when I couldn't be quiet because the scenery was so beautiful. I bowed out of Joe's brother's mountain house (it's by no means a cabin, with granite countertops, three master suites, just to name a few things) early to spend some quiet time at the house we rented for the weekend. I came home and took a peek outside and gasped at how gorgeous the night sky looked. I wish I had a picture to post here so you could all see how absolutely breathtaking it was. I swear I'd never seen so many stars. I made myself some coffee, wrapped up in a blanket, and sat on the deck mezmerized by the brilliant stars cloaked in midnight blue. This was the view from the back deck of Jamie's "cabin."




And here is a front view of the "cabin."


On a lighter note, driving up the mountain roads to reach our weekend house was a real "white knuckler" at times when the narrow winding road was bordered by a mountain wall on one side and a sheer drop on the other. I only have one word for this: GUARDRAILS!! GUARDRAILS, people!! What is up with that? I'm amazed that we didn't hear reports of anyone having driven off the side of the mountain while maneuvering back to their house in the dark.

No comments: